Sunday 24 February 2008

Do You Have Any Objection? Its My Birthday.

I never thought I will go around "sibuk menyibuk" in a General Election again. Nor it occurs to me that I will attend the Hari Penamaan Calon also known as "Nomination Day". All my life I have never seen Jentera Pilihanraya either, the only Jentera Pilihanraya I know off was in 2004, even then it was one may say as "setakat tampal poster", but then again it was fun.

This year for my birthday, since many I know close to me encourage, I accept the invitation to witness the Nomination Day in Pulai which also fall on my birthday. What is birthday anyway, I always hate it. Especially looking at candles on the cake or cakes growing each year. Imagine the temptation of taking away one or two candles before you blow it.

I arrived in Pulai just before midnight, on first note, I know the posters of the potential candidate is in a 1 ton lorry on its way to Pulai too. Upon arrival, I met the parliamentary candidate and his many assistants to register my presence. He seems to be very relax, as if knowing all are in good hands. Upon check in at the hotel, I had a quick change of shirt, no time to be waste, I was taken to the Bilik Gerakan. I was suprised to see everything which are needed in an election campaign seems to be in placed. I notice charts, graphs, statistics, lists of names of various committees and subcommittees posted around the walls of the operation. The maps of the Parlimentary and the two States Consituencies were large enough to shame DBKL meant for tourist Maps.

Then came a man, walk into the room, seem to me known by everyone in the room, unlike me who is like "rusa masuk kampung", I introduced myself, he offered me his kretek cigarrette which he claimed to be from Bandung. Within 2 minutes with him, I begin to notice, this man, the way he walk, talks, his humour and knowledge of nomination for election, must have come from years of experience working for his Master. Not 5 years or 10 ten years, it could be 20 years or more. I was impressed when he is also highly knowledgeable on the relevant Acts that applies during election. On issue of objections on Nomination Day, he seems to be aware of all the technical objections back to back.

He did not stumble or fumble to each and every questions I asked, he will answer each and everyone with nothing to hide as if it is from a book. I was shown the checklists, the forms and all other papers to be taken to the Nomination Station.

I left the Bilik Gerakan at 2.30 am

End of Part 1.

2 comments:

~dee~ said...

Happy birthday lawyer darihulu!

May all your wishes come true (except for the wish to grow younger instead of older each year la...)

Salam

DARI HULU said...

Thank you. I do appreciate it.
A lawyer? No, I am not.