Monday 25 February 2008

Happy Birthday To Me, Happy Nomination Day Friend

I do not know what to expect on Nomination Day. The Setiausaha Kerja told me last night the Calon must, under the Election Act, bring with him before the Returning Officer, Pencadang, Penyokong and wakil Calon who will also be the witness for the Calon. The Borang or "Forms" to be submitted are many, each Borang was filled in meticulously, the hour spent on the Forms alone could be 36 hours, this is to avoid unnecessary technical objection. Nothing swept under the carpet, every technical problems while filling in the forms will be highlighted. One rule I learn when filling up forms, in this case Nomination Forms, fill in your name and address as appears in the identity card. You can forget your title, it is not important, it has no meaning to the Opposition at all.

Everyone assembled as early as 7am for breakfast. The Nomination Centre open at 9am, I joined the potential candidate for breakfast. I felt honoured to take the seat with a retired political heavy weight I know for almost 20 years. A minute later, the Setiausaha Kerja request for "Doa" prayers, someone opposite me recites the prayers. Was it a good "Doa"? Yes it was, I was delighted the "Doa" was in Arabic and Malay, it was short and simple, most of all the "Doa" fills with the purpose of the gathering on this Nomination Day. I am very happy for the first time in my life, my birthday was showered with "Doa" too.

Then came one of the potential State Assemblyman, wearing all white, smiling to everyone, I gave him my seat. The Setiausaha Kerja allows the potential DUN man to settle down for about five minutes before standing next to their breakfast table. He produced all the papers and documents to be submitted before the Election Returning Officer, he points out the importance of each and every papers, forms, receipts, identity cards to these potential Member of Parliament, States Assemblyman in particular to the Senior Veteran Politician which I believe should accompany every young politicians in this country.
I have to give my salutation or hats off, the Wild Wild West "Adat" to the Setiausaha Kerja. He present it in a very professional manner, his chronology and sequences of papers and documentations were immaculate, he speaks with conviction, in an official like manner, he ensure you do not miss a thing.
It was a good birthday presence, for nearly 25 years I thought I know politics, as a matter of fact, no, I do not know, it is not about "cakap-cakap", it is not about "sembang-sembang" and for the first time, I realise, the machinery that I saw last nite and this morning works for one reason and one reason alone, it is about loyalty to the Leader, to the Party and nothing else.
End of Part 2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday to you. We should plan to celebrate together next year on the eve of 24th Feb and the end of 23rd night.

Cheers! Anis