Wednesday 18 March 2009

EVERYONE WANTS IMMUNITY

image Daily Mail UK : She was charged by Mersey Rail for resting her feet on the opposite seat.

A friend asked me today, "Did you read the papers this morning? Utusan?” To my great pleasure I replied, “I have not read Utusan for a long time, that newspaper bored me to death.”

Taking the attention of another lawyer sitting next to me in the court gallery, as if he is speaking to him too, he said “How could he not read Utusan when he is UMNO member?”, at the same time pointing his finger at me. The other lawyer showed a page in the Star newspaper which carried a news on Ali Rastam, “He has not been reading Utusan too." referring to Ali Rastam. He went on to say, "I bought this piece for RM1.20 for the cartoon.”. I smile to him in agreement.

The conversation later dragged on the issue about Karpal being charge at court. The other lawyer said, “How could they charged him, he was only citing the constitution? My friend replied, “He threatened to sue Sultan Azlan, he can’t sue the Sultan, especially when the Sultan is acting in his official capacity.” The other lawyer made this typical lawyer demeanour of naivity as if Sultan Azlan is not acting in his official capacity whereas Karpal is acting in his official capacity and said, “How about the Special Court?”

I added, “The Special Court was set up for his unofficial conduct.” The lawyer being displeased said “I thought they have removed the immunity?

“No.. I replied, in fact the President of the Bar is also immune from prosecution.” Both of them were stunned. “Yes…, the President of the Bar is immune from prosecution. The Bill was tabled by Hamzah Abu Samah and passed in Parliament in the 70s, go and check.” I said.

It’s a boring subject, those who supported Karpal will stand up for Karpal. Before I walked off I said, “Let Karpal defend himself if he think he is right. It’s up to the prosecution to prosecute him.”

I didn't say what I really wanted to say, "Don’t tell me we need the blessing of lawyers or the Bar Council to prosecute one of it’s member."

No comments: