Monday 2 February 2009

HIS HIGHNESS PLEASURE PART 2

image: Balai Nobat

Nobat. An instrument as I recall, an instrument full of mysticism.

I was 12 when I first came to know of Nobat. It was eerie and as I was told by someone from Kedah, it was made of human flesh and bones, one is not suppose to impersonate the Nobat while it is playing, those who disobey will be curse.
At the Balai Rong Seri, the Nobat instrument were placed opposite the main entrance. It was guarded by the players of the instruments as if no one should leave their own instrument at any costs.

I also notice the Nobat were not at site during rehearsal of the investiture. It was meant for one thing and one thing alone on that day.

As the KDYMM Sultan Abdul Halim Muazzam Shah of Kedah walks into the Balai Rong Seri, the Nobat was played, it makes this rather unique sound, it was so eerie and haunting.
Later that day I was told the instrument that make the haunting sound is known as Nafiri except this time I was told it was made of animal bones and not of human.

No comments: