Saturday 19 January 2008

A Kiss Is A Kiss


I kiss her forehead with all my heart. I promise myself we will meet again, one day, as Allah promise to all of his servants. We all shall meet again for good or bad. She lay still. Silent. Not a word.

I kissed her on her birthday, before I leave the house, during all occassion of Hari Raya, after the usual rituals of bermaaf-maafan, I would kiss her hands whether it is at home, airport, restaurants or whenever whereever, even when she is surrounded by her friends. Never occurs to my mind that I will kiss her for good, 10 years ago in accordance to Islam Calendar of 10 Muharam, which is today.

From time to time in these 10 years, I would bump into her friends. She would be proud to learned that I would kiss the hands of her friends whom I call "Auntie", a manner which she would have expected from me. "Adat..."she said, "... jaga adat." So, it doesnt come as a suprise for many like me, to jaga adat, the extend of kissing hands, would include the kissing the hands of Imam, elderly neighbours, classmates parents, it got worst during Hari Raya.

As young as 5 years old I was taught to kiss the Quran. This practice of kissing of something holy grows to books, paperbacks novels that I enjoyed thoroughly. It goes beyond when I started to kiss money I received. Kissing money is definitely joyful. The joy never fail.

Today, I was labelled as "kaki bodek" for following Adat. The exact words use by this old friend amat mengejutkan "This guy will cium just to get ahead. With blokes like this, we can kiss honour, self respect and integrity goodbye..."

Have I committed sins? It seems, the kissing of a Statesman twice, is a disgrace conduct of "kaki bodek".

Should I clarify to him or to anyone for that matter, it is in the Malay Adat that we salam, in the salam we kiss hands (subject to the person ones meet), we salam when we meet and we salam when we say goodbye.? Or some people just Buta Adat, therefore it is pointless in giving long explanation and clarification on Adat to those who are Buta Adat. After all, A Kiss Is A Kiss.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kissing elderly hand is showing respect or adat..but what about a young lady hand..aaaha? Just kidding...

DARI HULU said...

Kissing a woman hand, shows affection, attraction or perhaps just to make a dream come true.

Anonymous said...

darihulu should tell us the history of the kiss. where did it originate from? Is it a western practice or malay adat? Darihulu thinks he knows everything but actually he knows only what he wants to know...

Anonymous said...

ask your mama.